“Pretty Woman” The Musical: A Lesson for Sugar Babies

I watched the movie “Pretty Woman” back when I was a Sophomore at MIT. I had forgotten about it and its relevance to the Sugar community until this past weekend when I went to Manhattan with my girlfriend, Zoe.  As usual, every time I have a chance to be in the Big Apple, I ask Zoe which Broadway show she wants to watch. We had seen ‘Hamilton’ the last time we were in the city, so naturally we felt like seeing something a little less serious. So when Zoe suggested “Pretty Woman,” I was all game.

While the New York Times did not give “Pretty Woman, The Musical” much of a rave review, we thoroughly enjoyed the performance.  There is no doubt “Pretty Woman” dealt with a difficult and socially uncomfortable topic. Another challenge it faced was the fact that the original movie and its strong lead characters (Richard Gere and Julia Roberts) were tough acts to follow. Yet, despite everything stacked against it, the cast delivered a powerful performance that was extremely entertaining and highly relatable to all of us in the Sugar community.

Naturally, there are a number of important lessons to be learned from the show.

Pretty Woman Pic

Lesson 1:  Be a sugar baby, not a prostitute.

Reporters often ask me the question, “What is the difference between a Sugar Baby and a prostitute?” If there is one lesson to be learned from “Pretty Woman,” it would be the answer to that question.  Vivian was a prostitute at the beginning of the movie but became a Sugar Baby by the end. It wasn’t because she had experienced the luxurious lifestyle of being the girlfriend of a billionaire that changed her.  Rather, it was his kindness and desire to form a genuine connection with her when few would. She’s initially abrasive and cynical because that’s what the world taught her. The chance encounter with Edward, his money and the luxury he was able to afford were all gateways to forming a genuine connection since she valued money greatly.  But it was the genuine connection they had that changed her. After that, she could never go back to being a prostitute. She saw life from a new perspective and had transformed herself from a simpleton into a Sugar Baby. The difference between the two couldn’t be clearer. The contrast between the two could not be more black and white.  The desire of wanting to form and keep a genuine relationship is the defining quality separating out Sugar Dating from prostitution.

Lesson 2:  It is okay to want a Fairy-tale ending.

At the end of their week together, Edward, the billionaire, made an offer to Vivian.  He offered her a new car, an apartment, and an allowance. Vivian rejected his offer to be his kept woman.  While most would jump at that opportunity, and she may have also had it been made a week ago, but she no longer wanted that.  She wanted her fairy-tale, and she taught us all that it is okay to want more. By the end of the show, she had transformed herself into the ultimate Sugar Baby, following the footsteps of many like her, such as Melania Trump, Eloise Broady, Kristy Hinze, Katsia Zingarevich or Jade Forest. Strong women who have incredibly high standards for the lifestyle they want to live, know exactly what they want and have been successful in upgrading their relationships.

So, if a reporter were to ask me again if a Sugar Baby is a kept woman, I would have to ask them to watch the ending of “Pretty Woman”.  A kept woman may certainly be a Sugar Baby, but a Sugar Baby is most certainly not always a kept woman. Some Sugar Babies are girlfriends of successful men or wives of Presidents or billionaires.  Most Sugar Babies, however, are single and looking, but they know what they want, and they have a high standard for whom they want to be in a relationship with. They aren’t afraid of seeking their fairy-tale.

Lesson 3:  It is important to have a dream.

There are many critics for those of us who live the Sugar lifestyle.  Many are usually sour because they aren’t rich enough to be Sugar Daddies, or they feel they aren’t beautiful enough to be Sugar Babies.  Yet, there is one more important lesson to take away from “Pretty Woman”. A lesson that will benefit everyone, including those naysayers.

The song, “Never Give Up On A Dream”, sang towards the end of the performance tells us of the importance of having dreams. In that scene, Vivian’s roommate who had been a prostitute for years, but was not as lucky as Vivian in love, decided it was time to pursue the dream she had when she was young.  She signed up with the police academy and started to pursue her dreams of a career in law enforcement.

Dreams lead to actions, and taking action leads to dreams coming true.  And hence the importance of never giving up on one’s dreams.

For those critics who fret because they are not rich or pretty enough, l will say that I was neither rich nor successful nor beautiful 20 years ago when I was struggling with shyness and loneliness.  Yet, my dreams eventually led me to where I am today. Confidence, success, personality and even physical beauty can all be changed and improved, if only one sets their mind to it.

Even though I found some of the casting choices to be puzzling (for example, Andy Karl, who clearly spends a lot of his time at the gym, playing the role of Edward who clearly had no time for anything else other than business and work), I highly recommend “Pretty Woman, The Musical” for those who may have the opportunity to watch it.

So next time, if you happen to be in New York and you are lonely or bored, get on SeekingArrangement. Find yourself a date and buy two tickets to the show.  At the end of the show, let’s not forget to share some sugar with those in need by donating to Broadway Cares, the charity that fights HIV/AIDS. I’m sure you won’t regret any of it.

For those of you who have questions for me, or who are interested in following me on my journey to improving my life, relationships and business, feel free to follow me or write me on one of my social channels:

Instagram:  @askbrandonwade

Twitter:  @askbrandonwade

YouTube:  @askbrandonwade

Facebook:  @askbrandonwade

48 Responses to ““Pretty Woman” The Musical: A Lesson for Sugar Babies”

1. EF says:

You pay to be on SA!

2. EF says:

Many fake profiles and splenda boys.

3. Someonewithclass says:

Being paid for sex? You’re a prostitute. Close your legs and open a book maybe then you won’t have to rely on sex to pay your bills 🤦🏻‍♀️

4. RiderMama says:

I’m in SB and I can’t even find an SD and I agree you know if the SD wants to open up their wallet then yeah I will open my legs it’s just the arrangement but I’ve been having no luck on this site

5. SpecialDelivery says:

Massively agree. About leveling up in life. Evolving with one another. Theres so much more to life.

Not sure how to handle this site because i don’t get responses from anyone on here

• SpecialDelivery says:

All about how you speak of yourself and what you wish to attract. Spend time putting effort into your words etc and life will msnifest as you wish

being a sugar baby is prostitution lite. don’t kid yourself.

8. jay says:

This website is total bs it’s hard to find real SD on here

• Nikki says:

Not true! I came across too many time wasters myself..

My last SD had secret financial troubles. The man hadn’t paid his taxes in like 4 years and his children were worthless. He finally came clean that he was spending more than he was earning. Glad he told me before we slept together. I don’t hand out my cookies to just anybody. Bye, Felicia.

• Mrs reyna says:

I agree I haven’t had any luck on her but a bunch of lies and bs.

9. Charlie says:

I met a prostitute in a Thailand bar. One of those where you buy them a drink and they get 50% of the cost from the bar owner. I told her I was there for a drink – ONLY.
    At 0200 am the bar closed. She begged me for a trick, she could not go ”home” as she had not paid the rent and would get ”troubles”. 4000 Baht became 2000 baht became an she sleep in my hotel for free. I felt sorry for her and agreed. We did not have sex or anything. In the morning she was distraught.
    I spoke with her landlord, I settled her debt, and we parted company. That evening she was waiting outside my hotel, she wanted to thank me – as she called ”properly”. I declined but we had lunch .

I thought of Pretty woman a lot, and we have become great platonic friends. With my small help she now runs a small store in her home town far from Bangkok.

The film inspired me to help her.

• SpecialDelivery says:

Trully beautiful.

We are a community in this world if we have ability to help one another we should do so and not have to take something in return. Much love to you. Stay blessed

• EF says:

Still a few good people out there, good blessings to you!

10. Charlie says:

at 0200 am the bar closed. She begged me for a trick, she could not go ”home” as she had not paid the rent and would get ”troubles”. 4000 Baht became 2000 baht became an she sleep in my hotel for free. I felt sorry for her and agreed. We did not have sex or anything. In the morning she was distraught.
    I spoke with her landlord, I settled her debt, and we parted company. That evening she was waiting outside my hotel, she wanted to thank me – as she called properly.

The film inspired me to help her.

11. Sugar_damsel says:

Interesting

12. Lindy says:

Any SD that’s whilling to splurge on his sb should always Get what he deserves , ALL OF HER, it’s only fair

13. Amanda says:

I love this. Very well said.

14. Rachelle says:

I love your writeup. I feel that beauty to a man is equivalent to a mans net worth. Men will never date a less good looking one if they can get the most beautiful girl to fall in love with them so why should women do any less. I do believe money in a relationship takes the pressure and worry off and truly allows a woman to thrive in her femininity. Ladies keep going after your dreams and gentlemen, do not be afraid to message us even a hi is okay. xx

15. Kisha Barton says:

Thank you for confirming how I felt for many years. I have always wanted a luxurious lifestyle and I have always thought that I deserved it. Because of this article I will continue to follow my dreams and not be fearful of what is ahead of me. But I want to embrace what I want, and who I want, but most importantly what I deserve. Thank You and May God continue to bless you on your journey.

As long as my SD opens his wallet, this SB will open her legs…It’s a fair deal.

17. Sarah says:

In the spirit of having that fairy tale ending, will there be an SA party this year? I haven’t seen a date advertised yet.

18. Graceylicious says:

i agree with what you are saying
    if you are a woman like me who has the brains, the looks and the heart who wants genuine connection BUT also wants I want in a relationship
    I am no slut and no player but yeah I want to end up with a fine , successful gentleman who has the resources to be a power team and power team mate and who has maybe some of the things I don’t have but I have also the things he does not have.

I could not imagine talking to a male that I thought had even a modicum of self respect and him telling me he was a part of a “power team”. I would feel so impolite if I was not able to refrain from laughing in their face and asking them what time their cartoon came on Saturday mornings or what reality show they were just voted off of. And no male that would be a part of a “power team” would have things that you do not have. They will lack male bits and pieces even if they think they have them.