Luxurious resorts and infinity pools are a dazzling experience with the right partner by your side. If travel is in your plans this year, safety should also be at the top of your list. Before you pack your bags and set off on the getaway of a lifetime, take the time to review our tips to stay safe while traveling this summer. Especially created for new romances, these precautions can offer the peace of mind you need to make the most of your summer adventures.
With empowering tools and sensible advice, our goal is to put safety back in your hands – whether you’re traveling to meet a new connection, looking for a partner to explore a new city, or going on your first couples getaway. By tapping into your instincts, taking precautions, and making good use of technology you can enjoy the romantic travel opportunities that come your way.
Traveling to Meet an Online Date
In the era of online dating, time zones and distance are no obstacle to making authentic connections. When you meet someone and really vibe with them, it’s easy to hop on a flight and meet in person. But is it safe to travel with this new flame?
It all starts with trusting your gut. You should only travel on your own terms, if you feel completely comfortable, and know how to take action if needed. Before meeting someone for the first time outside of your city, take the time to prepare with these safety measures:
- Only choose Seeking.com members with Identity Verified profiles, for more peace of mind.
- Verify your own profile to show that you have good intentions.
- Before heading on the road to meet your love interest, jump on a video chat for a little “get to know you” FaceTime and to set expectations for your trip.
- If the other person is paying for your trip, ask them to cover the costs upfront so that you can book your own travel – this way, if something goes wrong, you’ll have control to be able to return home if you need to.
- Share your travel itinerary with a friend or family member back home.
- Share your location with a friend or family member while you’re gone, even if you’ll be far away
- While you’re away, check in with your friends or family often.
- Arrange your own transportation from the airport to a public meeting place, and confirm the details ahead of time.
- Make sure you know where your hotel is in reference to other places, such as the airport and other places you’ll visit, so you have a sense of how to get back if needed.
- Keep your valuable items safe in your hotel, and just take what you need when you go out.
- If at any time you feel uncomfortable or are not enjoying the vacation, it is OK to pack up and head home or go somewhere new – just check in with your friends first and let them know about your change in travel.
Online Dating Safely While Traveling
If you’re going out of town, it can be fun to dip your toes in the local dating scene! Just like when you go on online dates at home, it’s essential to use common sense and take care of yourself. But you should also remember that you’re a visitor in a new city and being safe while traveling is your priority.
Here are a few extra precautions to help you enjoy your out-of-town dating adventures:
- Avoid sharing too much personal information.
- Do not provide any credit card or banking details to anyone.
- Get a sense of public transportation, and make sure your ride-share apps work in this location.
- Meet in public, keep an eye on your drinks, and stay aware of your surroundings.
- Before you leave, make sure you become familiar with the city’s cultural habits or customs to avoid misunderstandings.
- Learn a few basic phrases in the country’s native language so you can communicate and ask for help if you need it.
- If you don’t feel safe at any moment, calmly walk somewhere safer. If you are at a restaurant or bar, speak to a bartender or manager. If you are at or near your accommodations, contact a front desk employee of the hotel where you are staying. And always, call someone you trust.
Traveling with Your Date for the First Time
Taking a trip with an online date is a big step and could be the beginning of a fun experience, as long as you stay safe and feel comfortable at all times. If this is the first time you travel with a new acquaintance, there are some important considerations to keep in mind to remain safe while traveling.
The following tips should help you enjoy your time and give you more space to get to know your partner even better:
- Know your travel confirmation numbers, in case of changes to the itinerary or unexpected delays.
- Keep your phone locations on and synced to the cloud so you can access important numbers or other information in case your device gets damaged or lost during the trip.
- Know the schedule of activities so you can plan accordingly and have a sense of where you’ll be on different days. If you have planned excursions, do your own research on its location and what to expect.
- Make communication with your travel partner a priority to avoid any misunderstandings.
- Keep your ID or passport with you at all times.
- Always bring a spare credit card, a little cash, and copies of your IDs to keep in your hotel safe.
Extra Safe Travel Tips for Online Daters
There are a variety of travel risks to look out for every time you take a trip. Here are a few extra tips for online daters who love to visit new places:
- While staying at a hotel, use a door-stopper inside the room to ensure no one can open your door, even with a key.
- Do your safety research before traveling and inform yourself about the place you’ll visit.
- Get travelers insurance whenever possible.
- Make sure you know the location of the nearest police station, hospital, and embassy.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol or any other behavior that could put you at a disadvantage.
- Combine fun and safety for the perfect travel experience.
All of these safety measures offer the peace of mind you need to enjoy your travels. They also allow you and your partner to focus on having fun together. Seeking.com is the best platform to help you find the right partner, so you can spend less time looking online and more time making memories. By taking advantage of your safety features, you can find the travel partner you’ve been looking for!
For more safe dating tips, visit the rest of the Seeking blog.